Additional financial assistance might be available for G3 programs. Please contact your advisor or counselor for more information.
Minimum credits: 74
Length: 5 semesters (2 years), including summer, if suggested full-time course sequence is followed
Heating, Air Conditioning, & Refrigeration Mechanic: $47,610 (median) Job growth: 13% from 2018-2028
Heating, Air Conditioning, & Refrigeration Installer: $47,610 (median) Job growth: 13% from 2018-2028
General Maintenance & Repair: $38,300 (median) Job growth: 6%
*Median salaries & job growth nationwide as of 2018. BLS.gov
Division: Workforce Services
Plan Code: 900 CIP Code: 47.0201
The Diploma in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration provides the practical experience and technical knowledge required for competence as a service technician in the air conditioning industry. Topics include basic electricity, circuits and controls (electric and electronic), combustion devices (oil burners and gas burners), and refrigeration and air conditioning (residential and commercial). Technical coursework prepares students to plan, install, and service air conditioning equipment while general education courses assist students in social and business communications.
Career Requirements: Upon completion, the graduate will need to work 2 years in the field and have the ability to take their HVAC Journeyman licensure through the state of Virginia. The journeyman license must be held for one year in order to take the Virginia Master licensure. To own one’s own business, a Master license must be obtained or held by someone within the company.
Program Coordination: The AC & Refrigeration Servicing Certificate provides 42 credits towards the diploma.
Program Outcomes: Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate mathematical skills to solve problems in electrical, refrigeration, air conditioning systems, gas heating systems, and oil heating systems.
- Apply troubleshooting skills to diagnose and repair air flow, electrical, heating systems, and refrigeration systems.
- Apply theory and knowledge learned to design and fabricate sheet metal projects dealing with HVAC.
- Apply knowledge to install heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
- Ability to perform load calculations on residential and commercial buildings to size equipment and size duct systems properly.
- Sit for the EPA Certification
Industry Certifications: Students will have the opportunity to sit for the OSHA 10 and EPA certifications.