Additional financial assistance might be available for G3 programs. Please contact your advisor or counselor for more information.
Minimum credits: 66
Length: 5 semesters (2 years), if full-time suggested course sequence is followed
Division: Arts, Sciences, & Business
Contact: 434.797.8402 or 434.797.8462
Award: Associate of Applied Science
Plan Code: 298-01 CIP Code: 51.0712
This program provides broad-based knowledge and skills needed to work in a medical office environment. Medical courses are typically taught in the evenings. Students must earn a grade of C or better in all HIM courses in order to complete the program. Student who receive a grade of D or F must repeat that course before continuing to the HIM course sequence.
Industry Credentials: Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification, Office Proficiency Assessment Certification (OPAC)
The Associate of Applied Science in Administrative Support Technology - Medical Office Administration Specialization provides broad-based knowledge and skills needed to work in a medical office environment.
Program Outcomes: Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of various administrative support functions to perform satisfactorily in an office environment.
- Communicate effectively using oral and written methods.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using word processing software to accurately format a variety of business correspondence.
- Perform mathematical calculations to accurately complete financial and accounting functions used in an office environment.
- Key with a level of speed and accuracy acceptable to perform satisfactorily to industry standards.
- Demonstrate alphabetic and numeric filing rules to efficiently file and retrieve documents.
- Demonstrate knowledge of medical terminology necessary to perform satisfactorily in a medical office environment.