2024 - 2025 DCC Catalog 
    May 29, 2024  
2024 - 2025 DCC Catalog

Transcripts & Grading

Official Transcripts

Students and alumni can request official transcripts online through Parchment Transcript Services at danville.edu/transcript-request or parchment.com. Parchment Transcript Services allows for paper and electronic processing and requires a fee.  Transcripts will not be released to third parties without written permission from the student.

Unofficial Transcripts

Students and alumni who attended within the last 10 years may obtain an unofficial transcript via MyDCC.

Grading System

In order to receive any letter grade, a student must have attended a minimum of one class meeting or the equivalent in the case of a distance learning course. In a distance learning course, initial student attendance is determined by course participation as measured by accessing and using course materials, completion of a class assignment, participation in a course discussion, or other evidence of participation.  Students who enroll in a course but do not attend a minimum of one class meeting or the distance learning equivalent by the census date or earlier date as defined and published by the institution must be administratively deleted from the course by the college.  Existing college policies regarding tuition refunds shall remain in effect.

The grades of A, B, C, D, P, and S are passing grades.  Grades of F and U are failing grades.  R and I are interim grades.  Grades of W and X are final grades carrying no credit.

The quality of performance in any academic course is reported by a letter grade, the assignment of which is the responsibility of the instructor. Note: The grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned in courses by the total number of credits attempted. Grades denote the character of study and are assigned points as follows:

A Excellent - 4 grade points per credit

B Good - 3 grade points per credit

C Average - 2 grade points per credit

D Poor - 1 grade point per credit

F Failure - 0 grade point per credit

P Pass - No grade point credit (applies to special courses)

P/U Option: No more than 7 credits can count toward graduation.

R Re-enroll - No grade point credit (used only for Developmental Studies courses).

S Satisfactory - No grade point credit (used only for Developmental Studies courses).

U Unsatisfactory - No grade point credit (applies to specialized courses and seminars).

W Withdrawal - No credit (“W” implies that the student was making satisfactory progress in the course at the time of withdrawal or that the withdrawal was officially made before the “deadline” date published in the college calendar.) See Withdrawal Policy in the next section.

I Incomplete - No grade point credit. Used only for verifiable, unavoidable reasons that a student is unable to complete a course within the normal course time. To be eligible to receive an “I” grade, the student must (1) have satisfactorily completed more than 60% of the course requirements and (2) must request the faculty member to assign the “I” grade and indicate why it is warranted. The faculty member has the discretion to decide whether the “I” grade will be awarded. Since the “incomplete” extends enrollment in the course, requirements for satisfactory completion shall be established through consultation between the faculty member and the student.

In assigning the “I” grade, the faculty member must complete documentation that (1) states the reason for assigning the grade; (2) specifies the work to be completed and indicates its percentage in relation to the total work of the course; (3) specifies the date by which the work must be completed; and (4) identifies the default grade (B, C, D, F, P, R, or U) based upon course work already completed. Completion dates may not be set beyond the subsequent semester (to include summer term) without written approval of the chief academic officer of the campus. The student will be provided with a copy of the documentation. Colleges will establish procedures to ensure that all “I” grades that have not been changed by the faculty member through the normal grade change processes are subsequently changed to the default grade assigned by the faculty member. An “I” grade will be changed to a “W” only under documented mitigating circumstances, which must be approved by the VP for Academic and Student Services.

X Audit - No credit (Permission of the division dean is required to audit a class.)

CR Prior Credit - Credit received by exam and/or credit received for prior learning

Grading - Developmental Studies Courses

“S” (Satisfactory) shall be assigned for satisfactory completion of the course.

“R” (Re-enroll) shall be assigned to a student who makes satisfactory progress during the term but has not completed course objectives. This grade, used only for developmental studies, is to permit re-enrollment for completion of course objectives.

“U” (Unsatisfactory) shall be assigned to a student not making satisfactory progress. The Developmental Studies academic advisors, with the concurrence of the Dean of Arts, Sciences, & Business, will determine the subsequent sequence of courses for the student receiving a “U” grade.

A student may enroll no more than twice in any single developmental course. Appeal for a third and final enrollment must be addressed to the academic division.

Course Credit

The credit for each course is indicated after the title in the course description. One credit is equivalent to one collegiate semester-hour credit. Each semester hour of credit given for a course is based on the “academic hour,” which is 50 minutes of formalized, structured instructional time in a particular course weekly for fifteen weeks. This is a total of 750 minutes of instruction. In addition to instructional time, appropriate evaluation will be required. If this evaluation is a final examination, a minimum of one hour will be scheduled for each semester hour of credit generated by the course, not to exceed three academic hours (150 minutes). Credits may be assigned to the activities as follows:

  1. Lecture - One academic hour of lecture (including lecture, seminar, discussion, or other similar activities) per week, generally for 15 weeks, plus the evaluation or examination period, equals one collegiate semester-hour credit.
  2. Laboratory - Two to five academic hours, depending on the discipline, of laboratory, clinical training, supervised work experience, coordinated internship, or other similar activities per week, generally for 15 weeks, plus the evaluation or examination period, equals one collegiate semester-hour credit.
  3. Asynchronous Distance Learning Courses - In the case of asynchronous distance learning course offerings or hybrid courses that employ a mix of traditional contact hours and learning activities, with students and faculty separated by time and place, colleges must demonstrate through faculty peer review that content and competency coverage and student outcomes are equivalent to those of traditional sections of the same class. In the event that the only section of the course being taught in the VCCS is an asynchronous or hybrid course, faculty peer review will be employed to confirm that content and competency coverage and student outcomes are appropriate for the course credits awarded.
  4. General Usage Courses - Variable academic hours from one to five credits.
  5. Variable Credits - A college may request that a course vary from the existing credit value, but by no more than one credit. Existing variable credit ranges may not be extended. Credit variability will not be approved for the purpose of deleting laboratory hours or of making laboratory hours optional. General usage courses and courses numbered 1-99 are exempt from this policy.

Repeating a Course

A student is normally limited to two enrollments in the same credit course. If special circumstances warrant consideration of a third enrollment, the student must submit the Third Enrollment Form to the appropriate academic division. All requests for third enrollments into classes must be submitted and acted upon before the first day of classes for the term of enrollment. After reviewing the request, the academic division will notify the student in writing of the decision.